Finals are done.....School is out.....Baseball has ended.....and things seem to be settling down at the Small house......Time for Vacation.

Sorry I’ve been away…….things have been crazy around here. Beside the above mentioned, Julie has been putting in quite a few work hours and I have now recovered nicely from that bug (sickness) I acquired over the Memorial Day weekend. You could say that I’ve had some catching up to do around the house and in the gym.

You always wonder when you have MS and get sick……but  I seemed to have come out the other side of the illness rather unscathed.  I was a little weak the following week but now seem back to normal.  I just had a very productive weekend and Father’s day and now the family and I prepare to head out to Utah for “Mormon Mania II” ( A visit to Julie’s cousins) at the end of the week.  We’re hoping to hit up Yellowstone N.P. on the way back from Utah(I’ve never been). Traveling w/ the wife’s family is always a comic adventure…..I assume this trip will be no different.  I’ll put up some pictures as I get them.

An update:

Besides being bit by a bug (Sick) Memorial Day weekend….things have been relatively stable.  I had a physical last week and the Doc and the cholesterol check said things were fine…..”See me in a year or before if things change”…..he says.  The reason I saw him in the first place were 3 fold:

1) I’ve never had a regular GP….fixed that. He’ll work closely with my Neuro (Same Building)

2) Needed a physical….Done.

3) I took a fall about a month ago and have had swelling around my left ankle this whole time. It comes and goes w/ any activity and a good ice pack for twenty minutes will make it go away till the next activity. Still…I was concerned because things had not gotten better.

The doctor was convinced that it was a torn ligament due to the bruising (internal blood collecting) I described below the ankle at the arch of my foot when it happened.  That “bruise” is now gone but the swelling remains.

Although a torn ligament sounds horrible he was not concerned because I seemed to be getting around OK, the “bruise” (blood collection he says) in my foot was gone, and the fact that I’m not in any pain or discomfort. He pressed here and there around the ankle and nothing.  He says with normal people the healing from something like that can take 4-6 weeks.  “With you”….he says….”call me if things don’t change after ten”


This last Tuesday was my 48th treatment of Tysabri. Everything was fine.  There have been 49 cases of PML reported since Tysabri’s re-introduction to the market place in 2006.  Dr Kita says there is a new blood test available this next month that has something to due w/ monitoring one’s PML risk. Hopefully a little more reassurance then.


This last Friday was my last day at “Pushing Boundaries Gym” and “Lokomat” training for awhile.  The place cost a small fortune and I seem to be at a stalemate with the progress.  I plan to return to PB and “Lokomat” in August.  I receive partial funding at PB but at $90.00 dollars a visit you can see where I’m going here. 

Friday was my 112th time on the “Lokomat” machine and I’m currently in the process of trying to get some help from my insurance.  I currently am having 2 doctors write letters of medical necessity and then I will submit claims to the insurance and prepare for the long battle through and appeal process as I’m sure the claim will be denied the first time around.  I successfully won a battle similar to this back in 2008 when I received funding for my Bioness L-300 neuro-stimulator for foot drop.  $6000.00 to be exact.  We are talking about a little more money here w/ “Lokomat”….but hopefully I’ve learned a thing or two from last time and maybe…..just maybe…I can get some funds out of them.


I’ve been tweaking my medication as of late…..cutting back actually.


The spasms that I have are not really that bad and in a way….”I KIND OF LIKE THEM”!!!!!!!

This may sound really weird but the spasms that I have……are the bodily moves that I am usually unable to make.

For example:

You lay on your stomach and do a hamstring curl. (Meaning bring your heals off the table and try to touch your butt.)

Normally I am unable to do this but when I have a hamstring spasm……no problem. Before Israel…..I was unable to do this at all……now…..the spasm gives me hope that all is not lost with that movement or that possible repair may have happened.  I’m not sure what to think and I’ve yet to report this to the doctors.  When I do I tell you what they think.


Hopefully I’ll be able to round up some cash and continue with the “Lokomat” training this coming August or September.  Julie and I talked of a couple of car washes and maybe a bake sale fundraiser in July.  Until then…..I’m heading back to the pool which I have gotten away from since my return to work.  I think the pool will give the ankle some much needed time to finish healing.

Also….ever since the Memorial Day illness I’ve really needed to stretch more.  The pool is great for that.  My strength has maintained and the fatigue is a thing of the past (Thank God).  I think things are still slowly, slowly progressing for the better.  I’ve now gained a much needed 18 pounds since my return from stem cell.  Still working full time and enjoying being productive around the house on the weekends.

The positive numbers on the “Lokomat” progress reports don’t lie (The doctors loved them) and the tail of the tape at Pushing Boundaries says that I have gained 1” in circumference diameter around my thigh muscles since my return from stem cell last September.  I am confident of my return to “Pushing Boundaries Gym” for this fall.  Just taking a little financial and ankle healing break.

We’ll get this.

Be Well, Todd